The scientific subject of the “Wine and Spirits” Sector (former Wine Institute of Athens) includes research on wines, alcoholic beverages and by-products of alcoholic fermentation and winemaking. In particular, we are interested in the methods of production and processing of the above products, the chemical composition and their qualitative evaluation, the aging of wines and spoilage factors, and the potential of the Greek grapevine varieties in terms of production of local or specialty wines and spirits, as well any other related products. Our laboratory also provides services to third parties, like scientific advices, laboratory analyses, etc.).
Facilities & Equipment
- Complete equipment for chemical, microbiological and molecular analyses
- Experimental winery for the production and processing of wine on a semi-industrial scale
- Experimental distillery for the production of wine spirits
- Underground temperature stable storage tanks and barrels for the storage of wines and spirits
- Laminar Flow Hoods
- Microscopes with Digital camera
- Thermal cyclers
- Real-Time PCR System
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Growth chambers
- Digital Electrophoresis Documentation and Analysis System
- Additional Laboratory apparatus:
pH meters, Ultra clear water system, Electrophoresis systems for nucleic acids and proteins, Water baths, Electronic balances, Shaking incubators, Vortex, Deep Freezers(-80°C), Freezers (-20°C), Refrigerators (+4°C).
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org